happy to see me, her wagging whip of a tail at least gives the impression of interest in what I have to say, and as far as I know she's never betrayed my confidences to the neighborhood squirrels. But lately I've gotten the feeling that even she only loves me for my opposable thumbs, which admittedly are quite handy when it comes to retrieving dog treats from under the kitchen sink.
My first confession, dear Internet, is that I'm a workaholic. From the wee hours of the morning until the wee hours of the morning (you read that right), I can be found at my desk, pen in hand, scratching out translations on a notepad by the warm glow of a twisty compact fluorescent lamp, the heavenly bouquet of hot coffee wafting from within easy reach of my coffee-covered computer keyboard. Usually I'm surrounded by a veritable fleet of dog-eared dictionaries - real dictionaries with covers, and pages, and print - swimming in a sea of pens, pencils, notepads, and lens wipes, my mind floating on undulating waves of words, first Russian, then English, with other languages breaching the surface now and then. It's a scene that I imagine to be akin to a modern-day version of Caravaggio's paintings of St. Jerome, patron saint of translators, albeit conspicuously lacking the halo.
![]() |
| St. Jerome Writing by Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio c. 1605-06 Galleria Borghese, Rome, Italy |
There have been times when I worked on a translation or a translation-related desktop publishing project all through the night. It's not that I have anything against sleep. I have a very good relationship with my select-a-number mattress and fluffy pillows. My wife swears that I enjoy snoring all night (and from what she says I'm really good at it). It's just that when I'm wrapped up in a job I am so focused on my task that I lose all sense of time. I know it's not a very good excuse, but I really am trying to mend my ways. Sometimes it's not my fault, and I have to work through the night to meet a deadline. For some reason those nights always coincide with a rare fit of hypersensitivity to time, sleep, and the sound of the rhythmic, blissful sleep-breathing of my wife, daughters, pets, neighbors, local feral cats, etc. Basically it's a mystery not unlike those encountered in any number of human religions, philosophies, and Japanese game shows.
Now that I've unburdened myself I should go get another cup of coffee, turn on the TV, and spend the evening watching duck call makers jumping mud pits in jacked-up golf carts, or maybe that show with the guy with the hair who finishes every sentence with the word "aliens." But then again, I could always squeeze in another thousand words of translation before bedtime.

No comments:
Post a Comment